Free Museums Thursday-Sunday
This week, thru Sunday, includes four days during which the Montclair Art Museum ("MAM"; foto below, from 2009) is free for at least some people; and over 150 museums around the country, including MAM, are free on Saturday and Sunday for Bank of America credit or debit cardholders.
MAM has free evening hours each First Thursday of the month, and free daytime hours each First Friday.
FREE FIRST THURSDAY NIGHTS SCHEDULEThat's Thursday. I want to go to see how MAM swings a late nite every month, when the Newark Museum cannot. And I want to see how well the event works. I hope fotos are permitted in the bar and other areas.
• Late hours, 5–9 p.m.
• Free admission to the galleries. Check out our exhibitions on view. This will be the last Free First Thursday Night chance to see Georgia O'Keeffe in New Mexico: Architecture, Katsinam, and the Land and Saya Woolfalk: The Empathics!
• Full-service bar with special First Thursday Night prices.
• Tours of Georgia O'Keeffe in New Mexico will be offered every hour on the half hour (5:30 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m.). Topics will change on a monthly basis.
• Live music provided by the MSU John J. Cali School of Music Jazz Studies Program, led by saxophonist Dan Braden.
• Slide Night: Combat Paper NJ: Drop by Leir Hall for an informal gathering hosted by Combat Paper NJ. Combat Paper NJ turns uniforms into paper, telling stories through art with the motto: deconstruct, reclaim, communicate. Select images by members will be projected across the screen in a format that makes the presentation concise and keeps things moving at a rapid pace. This is a rare chance to meet these veteran artists from your community and surrounding area.
• Draw Along Workshop: Come draw with us! Grab a pencil and some paper and try your hand at sketching with one of the Yard School of Art's own teaching artists. Take your turn at drawing from a live model or observe as an expert captures a likeness. Supplies are provided for this free activity.
The Friday event is described in MAM's online calendar.
Friday, Jan 4, 2013 * * * The Museum offers free admission to the public every First Friday of the month during our regular hours of noon to 5 p.m.Saya Woolfalk was an artist-in-residence at the Newark Museum ending last February (foto below). In the show celebrating those artists, Ms. Woolfalk had a show projected onto the roof of the planetarium (the slideshow at the end of my post of February 10th, 2012 shows 21 fotos of that planetairum show; and right above that slideshow are links to others of her works discussed on prior occasions in this blog). Woolfalk's MAM show closes January 6th and the Georgia O'Keefe exhibit ends January 20th. Thus, both of the current special exhibitions will end before the next free days at MAM.
In addition to MAM's own free days, Bank of America's "Museums on Us" program, in which MAM is a participant, also gives free admission to each BofA debit or credit cardholder, with foto ID, on the first Saturday and Sunday of the month. The Newark participants are Aljira (closed Sunday) and the Newark Museum (open both days). Other participating institutions are shown at the "Museums on Us" website.
This program includes institutions in all three states adjoining NJ. My friend Jerry and I might go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art on Sunday, me on BofA, Jerry on the Museum's First Sundays program: "First Sunday of each month: Pay what you wish all day." I'll save the $18 of senior admission. I don't know how much Jerry, who is older than I am, will save. I suspect it would be about the same. If it's too cold, we may put this trip off to a warmer First Sunday.
I took this foto of the PMA on the one trip Jerry and I made to Philly by car last June. We had to make a stop on the way, and got to PMA too late to get into the Museum. But we did see the view from it, which is great.
The next trip we make will be by train. Jerry knows train travel well.