.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Newark USA

A fotojournal about LIVING in Newark USA, New Jersey's largest and most cultured city, by the author of the foto-essay website RESURGENCE CITY: Newark USA.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

ArtReach 21 at cWOW


Title graffic painted on the wall just inside the entryway to City Without Walls gallery.

The twenty-first culminating art show of the City Without Walls adult-teenage artist matchup opened with a reception on stormy Thursday, June 13th. I was pleasantly surprised by how many people braved the downpour. The rain was at times so heavy that, as I was driving there, I almost pulled over to wait it out, as I had to do once while driving in Nova Scotia with my father in the passenger seat. We couldn't talk because our breath caused fog inside the windshield that the defroster couldn't handle, so very wet was the air. I got a late start in heading to cWOW, however, so needed to soldier on, albeit very, safely, slowly, thru the rain, with my windshield wipers at the highest setting.


Slitely fuzzy foto of crowd around two 3D artworks in the middle of the gallery. The sculptures were too far away for flash to be effective, and I was not using a tripod (tho I think that some of the venues most familiar with me wouldn't mind if I did bring a tripod to create better pictures), so this foto is a little vague. But "you get the picture".

I have covered here a number of prior ArtReach exhibitions (e.g., XX, XIX, and XVII). I think I've actually shown pix of every ArtReach show since the first one I covered, whenever that was, x-number of years back, but don't, in a cursory search of my posts within the Blogger software, find other posts than the ones listed above. Anyone who wants to see others can do their own Google/Bing/Yahoo search on something like "artreach 'newark usa'".


I didn't see an ID on these three decorated mannequin busts.

This is the emailed announcement about this year's show, gently edited.
City Without Walls
presents
Art Reach XXI + Newark New Media ... Mentorship Program ... opened on Thursday, June 13, 2013, 6-8pm with a free public reception at City Without Walls (cWOW), 6 Crawford Street, Newark, NJ 07102. The exhibition is free and open to the public Wednesday – Saturdays 12-6pm June 13 through July 27, 2013.

Left, Malik Whitaker, Newark: Rainy Day; right, group by Nnambdi Nwaoduh.
This exhibit features painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, installations and videos by the following fifteen pairs of artist students and mentors:
• Sarina Aquino (Arts High School) + Adrienne Wheeler (Newark, NJ)
• Estephany Balbuena (Arts High School) + Colleen Gutwein (Montclair, NJ)
• Victor Batista (East Side High School) + Akintola Hanif (Newark, NJ)
• Christian Bonilla (Arts High School) + Ryan Pompey (Newark, NJ)
• Iricelly Caban (University High) + Lisa Conrad (Newark, NJ)
• Angel Cruz (St Benedicts) + James Wilson (Newark, NJ) • Marcellis Counts (University High School) + Daniel Brophy (Newark, NJ)
• Na-Samad Debreaux (Weequahic High School) + Derek Franklin (East Orange, NJ
• Asha Williams (West Side High) + Aeishah Abdul-Raheem (Piscataway, NJ)
• Destiny Thomas (University High) + Jennifer Watson (Long Branch, NJ)
• Nnamdi Nwaoguh (St. Benedicts Prep) + Malik Hardaway-Whitaker (Newark, NJ)
• Talitha Patton (Westside High School) + Vikki Michalios (Jersey City, NJ)
• Richard Paz (Belleville High) + James Blake (Newark, NJ)
• Olijah Ray (Technology High School) + Steve Green (Newark, NJ)
• Nadirah Walker (University High School) + Dominique Duroseau (Irvington, NJ)

Gallery Interns:
Lucy Oreiro (East Side High) + Noah Marshall (Central High School) + Shareef Green (Central High School)
NEWARK NEW MEDIA Screening of works in the New Media Room by: Manuel Acevedo & apprentices from Barringer High School + Andrew Terehen & apprentices from East Side High School's New Media Studies Magnet Program Students and Alumni Mentors from ECC New Media Technologies[. Something seems to be missing here, tho I copied every bit of this paragraf, so whatever may be missing is due to an error on the part of cWOW, which really needs to enlist a person with good proofreading skills for its emailings.]

In the Newark New Media room (a tiny theater off the main gallery) ran some videos/films. I caut this part, about a mentor, but he is not among the mentors and mentees in ArtReach XXI.
cWOW is an urban gallery for emerging art that advances the careers of artists while expanding the audience for contemporary art. Our exhibition, education, and public art programs use art, technology, and mentoring to help build communities, careers, and contemporary culture. Newark-based since 1975, cWOW is New Jersey’s oldest nonprofit contemporary art space, and a winner of the NJ State Council on the Arts['] "Citation of Excellence."
cWOW is free, ADA accessible, and open to the public Wed-Sat 12-6pm. [There is] easy access to cWOW by car or mass transit. For directions click here.
I thought I had taken a picture of two drawings by James Wilson (a mentor who had been a mentee in the first ArtReach program, and some of whose works I have shown on prior occasions), and lacked only a foto of his mentee's work alongside, because people were blocking my view. But when I reviewed my pix, I found I hadn't shown either his or his mentee's works. Well, if you want to see them, you'll just have to head to cWOW yourself.


In the foto above appear two works by two artists: left, Victor Batista, Broken; right, Akintola Hanif [misspelled in the label as "Haniff"], Mended.

Below appear two works by the team of mentor Lisa Conrad (left: Disappearing Horizon III) and mentee Iricelly Caban (right), Shoots and Ladders.)


This next foto shows the artwork to the right of Ms.(?) Caban's, Derek Franklin's VDNK. I have no idea what the initials are supposed to mean.


Here's Destiny, by Destiny Thomas & Jennifer Watson. I'm not clear as to whether this is supposed to be a portrait of Ms. Thomas's face (I know it's not Ms. Watson's face), or the reference is to the idea, fate. I think the ampersand (&) indicates a work produced by joint effort of the mentor (here, Watson) and student, consulting as to what to create.


This next joint artwork comprises two parts, the central drawing and the flanking objects.


Center, Talitha Patton, Growth; flanking, Vikki Michalios, Urban Options. I've never seen growlites in an art show before.

I threw this next artwork into grayscale because it is b&w, but came up with colors in the periphery.


Christian Bonilla & Ryan Pompey, Believe (All Things Are Possible) (text is forwards and backwards).

This next work was numbered, in the Price List, in unexpected fashion, since heretofore the numbers have, I believe, gone from the front door counterclockwise around the room. But this is the first work mentioned in the price list, and it is in the veritable middle of the room, on the wall to the right of the front desk.

Olijah Ray & Steve Green, Color Splash. There appears to be the face of a cartoon cat in the middle of this painting, perhaps the Cowardly Lion from The Wizard of Oz. Or is that just me? In that I am very fond of cats, I find this notion appealing.

This next artwork is lush and odd. It employs a luxury material, white feathers (turkey feathers?), in an unexpected way — tho I don't know any way, other than Amerindian art, where one might expect to see large, white feathers. The central image appears to employ Arabic script, tho whether the text is Arabic, Iranian, Urdu, or another language that employs that same script, I cannot say, in that I don't read any of those languages except an infinitesimal bit of Arabic.


Here, you can see how far out from the wall the feathers of the artwork above extend. I love this piece, tho I do not claim to understand it. It is my second favorite piece in the ArtReach XXI show.


This next artwork is a little hard to read, so I supply some clarification in the caption, below.


Nnambdi Nwaoduh, Anti-American. As near as I can figure, the layers in a submarine sandwich that may represent the sin of gluttony, read, top to bottom, "LAZINESS & FEAR", "JEALOUSY[;] NEGATIVE[;] BAD", "UNHEALTHY", and "DISGUSTING". I'm glad to see that young Mr. / Ms.[?] Nwaoduh regards those things as anti-American. Is s/he a foreign student, or did his/her parents just give their U.S.-born child a name that most kids would regard as bizarre and unpronounceable? It appears to me that both the first and last name start with a "syllabic-N", which is pronounced, as native speakers of English will hear it, like "in-". So the two names would likely be pronounced (in my Augméntad Fanétik pronunciation-key spelling system), in.nómb.dee in.wóu.da. I might be wrong, but I doubt it.

The next two fotos show my very-most-favorite piece in the show. It's not the prettiest, but it is the painting most profoundly connected to Newark, and since I love Newark and am gratified whenever an artist uses Newark, as such, as subject for his art, I love this piece.


Marcellis Counts & Daniel Brophy, Times are Changing. Actually, I think that the "are" could be capitalized here because, tho it is a short word, it is a verb, and thus a major player in the sentence's structure and sense. The mere fact that a word is short does not mean that it should not be capitalized in a situation like this.

I took several fotos of this large artwork in different liting conditions, some to show its concept, others to show its size overall.


Detail, Marcellis Counts & Daniel Brophy, Times are Changing. I just love these works by and in conjunction with Daniel Brophy that are very, very specific to Newark. Part of what this central portion of the painting may mean by "Times are Changing" is that the S. Klein building is to be torn down for a new Prudential office building scheduled to go up within the next few months.

This next foto shows two people posing by one of the artworks in the show. I don't know if either is the artist, or they are friends of the artist, or whatever. But they seem happy to be there, by that particular artwork (which I had not fotograffed in particular).


The last artwork I'll show today is My Reputation is This I, by Dominique Duroseau. In French-speaking countries, "Dominique" could be either masculine or feminine. I suspect, but do not know for sure, however, that here, "Dominique" is regarded as feminine.


The ArtReach XXI show remains on view until July 27th at 5pm.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home